Monday, November 14, 2011

The Chicken Came First


just ask anyone from K e n t u c k y.

I was rolling south on I-75, chasing fall colors and hoping for good camping weather, when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a small sign that read: Sander's Cafe and Museum. It took me a minute, but I put two and two together (I was in Kentucky and there's only one famous Sanders) so I dove over two lanes to the exit ramp to have myself a little look-see.

Yep.

I stumbled upon the birthplace of KFC. This is one of the neat little benefits of hitting the open road with no particular place to go and no rush to get there. It made me proud to think that I arrived at Chicken Central, towing my own Hen House. That's the nickname stickered on the back of my little 16' camper.


My final destination was the Cumberland Falls near the historic Cumberland Gap (where Daniel Boone blazed a trail in 1775 so that pioneers could make their way through the mountains to settle the west). Remi and I spent a week hiking, sharing hot dogs by the fire, and taking pictures of area waterfalls.

That first night I had a hard time falling asleep because PTS flashbacks of Kentucky front porches leaped out and jerked me awake. I think these mobile homes were the inspiration for the television show "Hoarders." Folks in these parts do not throw anything out. If I'm lyin', I'm dying. I kid you not. They pack it and stack it until it leaks, rolls, or bulges its way out through the front door, into the light of day, on display as a twisted sort of status symbol.

There were the usual offenders: old washing machines, broken wooden chairs (always room for company) and a ripped up bench seat from a 1978 Ford pick up truck. You might see an old gas stove piled high with clay pots, canning jars, and knick knacks. Most front porches spill over on to the front lawns. Scattered from lot line to lot line is every size and shape of rusted, twisted metal: oil cans, bird cages, signs, rakes, and miscellaneous auto parts. There's usually a dog or two on a chain and a couple of rabbit pens.


The most disturbing part is that I noticed so many immaculate, 8' giant satellite dishes --mounted on titanium, tornado proof tri-pods. Mother nature can take the home, that's what makes 'em mobile, but a line is clearly drawn at missing a Jerry Springer episode.

What I like best about folks in the south is that they can laugh at themselves. They know they are different and like to celebrate it. It's a laid back, friendly, forgiving lifestyle. So bring on the biscuits and gravy...

THE KFC BISCUIT RECIPE (Preheat oven to 425, spray baking sheet w/Pam)

1- 1/2 cup flour, 1- 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbl. sugar, 1 tbl. baking powder, 2/3 cup milk, 1/3 cup vegetable shortening (like Crisco solid)

Mix dry ingredients. Add Milk, Stir. Add Shortening. (Two Options from this point forward) (1) KFC Way--turn onto floured surface and knead gently for 6-8 minutes. Pat to 1/2" thick. Cut into biscuits. Bake 9-13 minutes, Makes 9. OR (2) Drop Biscuit way--drop by heaping tbl. onto (greased) baking sheet. Press a little flat with fingers and bake 8-12 minutes. Makes 18.

THE KFC CHICKEN COATING RECIPE (Preheat oven to 350, bake 1 hour)

3 cups Bisquick or Jiffy Baking Mix, 1 Tbl. Paprika, 2 envelopes EACH of Lipton Tomato Cup-A-Soup (dry) and Good Seasons Italian Dressing (dry), 1 Tsp Seasoned Salt.

Place ingredients in a plastic ziploc bag and then "Shake and Bake".








Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment