Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Knurt is Trunk Spelled Backwards



I don’t normally let people peek in my trunk (or under my hood) but I’ll take one for the team this winter.  When you are 20 years old, your trunk has absolutely nothing useful in it.  By age 30, you might throw in a set of jumper cables, having learned to do so the hard way.  When you are 50 years old, your trunk has everything necessary to survive Armageddon. 
 Let’s just say some crazy driver (probably with Ohio plates) drives me off an icy road, and my car rolls over twelve times down a snowy embankment, landing exposed, with its belly in the air as the tires spin to a slow stop.  No problem.   I just reach into the center compartment, get out my Swiss, cut through my shoulder harness, and wiggle my way back to to the trunk.  There I find heat packs, food and Band-aids.  I will just sit tight and wear my trunk on my back, like a snail wears its shell, until help arrives.

Maybe there’s a guy on the expressway (with Indiana plates) who, is texting with one hand and guzzling down a Red Bull with the other.  His knees are doing the driving and then his ears tell him to change the radio station.  “Slick” reaches over to change his XM Station from Heavy Metal and gets Heavy Pedal instead.  He plows into me, causing my car to spin 360’s (I kinda like it, I’m not gonna lie) until I fall off the Zilwaukee Bridge into the water far below.  No problem.  On the way down, I reach back for my inflatable raft, K-rations, and emergency beacon.


I can live for weeks trapped in my car
in a snow covered ditch and I’m proud of it.   

Each October, on my dad’s birthday, I go through the trunk
in my typical obsessive, compulsive fashion and stuff it
with ESSENTIAL safety items. 

Here’s a peek:

  • Water, Aspirin, Benedryl, Vaseline, Heat Packs
  • Pen & Paper
  • My Big Swiss Army Knife
  • Flashlight, Waterproof Matches, Candles
  • Two Sided Flag--White, Orange
  • WD-40, Zip Strips, Electrical Tape, Duct Tape, Bungee Cords
  • Plastic Tarp
  • Large ZipLoc Bags 
  • Wet Wipes
  • Wire and String
  • Kitty Litter
  • Johnson & Johnson First Aid Kit
  • Emergency Flare Gun
  • Old Coat, Spare Socks, Two Blankets, Plastic Poncho
  • Protein Bars
  • Nail Polish (why not)
  • Orange Emergency Triangles
  • Crow Bar, Tow Rope, Tire Mats
  • Hammer, Screwdriver & Pliers
  • A Hat, Gloves AND BOOTS
  • The 30' Heavy Duty Jumper Cables that my dad made for me
  • Crossword Puzzle Book
  • And clean underwear (just in case)

                                                                      A country girl can survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment