Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Regular Outlaw

The Strawberry Roan

Well, down in the horse corral standing alone, was that old cavayo, a Strawberry Roan.   His legs were spavined, and he had pigeon toes, little pig eyes and a big Roman nose.  Little pin ears that were crimped at the tip, with a big 44 branded 'cross his left hip. He's ewe-necked and old, with a long lower jaw; you can see with one eye he's a reg'lar outlaw.

Well I puts on my spurs and I coils up my twine--I piled my loop on him; I'm sure feeling fine. I put the blinds on him, it sure was a fight.  Next comes my saddle, and I screws it down tight. I gets in his middle and opens the blind; I'm in the right spot to see him unwind.  


He's about the worst bucker I've seen on the range; he can turn on a nickel and give you some change.  He turns his old belly right up to the sun. He sure is one sun-fishin' son of a gun! 


He goes up on all fours and comes down on his side.  I don't know what keeps him from losin' his hide.  I loses my stirrup and also my hat, I starts pulling leather--I'm blind as a bat. With a big forward jump he goes up on high; I turns over twice and I comes back to earth--I lights in a-cussin' the day of his birth.


I know there is ponies I'm unable to ride. Some are still living; they haven't all died.  I'll bet all my money the man ain't alive that can stay with Old Strawberry when he makes his high dive. 


Moe Brandy, The Strawberry Roan
http://www.last.fm/music/Moe+Bandy/Moe+Bandy+-+Cowboy+Songs 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment